Sunday 13 November 2011

Scilly Week - Day Four

Day four dawned bright and early with beautiful sunshine! The view from our digs is superb, looking across The Roads to Tresco, Bryher and Samson. Tresco was the destination for today but with the boat not leaving til 1015hrs, I went for a walk to Porthcressa beach with Mark. Merlin, Water Pipit and Common Sandpiper gave good views on the beach and the Lower Broom on the Garrison looked sheltered and full of birds so I decided to look there. Stupidly I took the route along the rocks on the beach and by the time I'd got to the southern end of Lower Broome I was dripping with sweat and exhausted!! Luckily I bumped into Nathan who kindly agreed to take my fleece back to the digs! I'd cooled down considerably by the time I boarded the boat to Tresco. The first boat was full so  I caught up with Mark ten minutes later photographing the two Snow Buntings at the south end of Tresco. A short walk to the Great Pool and we were soon watching Spotted Crake and Lesser Yellowlegs on the exposed mud. The latter being a Scilly tick for us both! The heavens opened shortly after but we still managed to see Tree Pipit, Mistle thrush, Pectoral Sandpiper and Med Gull before catchimg the boat to Bryher. This was a wasted trip as the Pallas's warbler seen a few days previously was not seen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment